Monday, May 5, 2014

Happy Mother's Day, and It's Off to the Hospital

Among their many, many chores, it seems that mothers are destined to take their kids to an emergency room at least once.

My mother certainly did. In her own words, here's a recounting of Ruth Martin's quick-get-a-doctor moments with my four sisters and me. (I'm quoting from my mother's chapter in a collective family history book published in 1992.)

Nancy (left) and Sandi (right)
"I loved raising my children, but each one of them gave me at least one frightening moment. Sandi once fell down while she was running with a Coke bottle and cut her wrist; we had to take her to the hospital. Another time, Sandi was riding a pony and it took off too fast...and she was smart enough to jump off the pony onto a grassy slope.

"Nancy swallowed a trunk key and we had to take her to the hospital and get her X-rayed. Nancy practically put me in the hospital, too. I got a ruptured disc from carrying her around when she was a chubby baby and had to stay flat on my back for six months.

"Mimi was bitten by a chipmunk and we had to take her to the hospital to get several rabies shots.

Mimi
"Julia's moment came when she was rocking too hard in a little old woven chair on the screened-in porch. It fell over and she popped her head on the floor.

Julia

"And Jim stood up in his high chair one day and fell over, knocking his head on the floor; there went another trip to the hospital."

Me (with drool on my chin)

So, as you wish the woman who gave you birth a 'happy Mother's Day' this Sunday, you might also thank her for taking you to the hospital when you were a kid. I'll bet she'll know exactly what you mean.

My mother, Ruth, as a child

POSTSCRIPT: I did a multimedia version of this post using Adobe's fun new Voice iPad app. Here it is:

6 comments:

  1. such cute photos and such a fun post! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine attended a photography exhibit here in rural france and said..."`I left the show and looked down the street at the buildings differently"....
    I get a splinter in my finger.....and thank GOD I dropped (flunked) out of pre-med...
    You just brought me back to a trip I made to the hospital with a cool headed nurse and ambulance driver...the one who should have panicked ....but had no other choice....I never thought of it that way...those moms were Steel Magnolias....
    I leave this blog and look at the buildings differently....
    And I thank you sweet man!
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tim! Hope you're doing well. Jim

      Delete
  3. Love, love, LOVE the drooling Jimmy Martin picture!:-)

    ReplyDelete